Project Course (Bachelor/Master)
Bachelor/Master Project: "Visualization for Social Good" (PVSG)
- Shivam Agarwal
- Shahid Latif
- Prof. Dr. Fabian Beck
- Summer Semester 2021
- Thursday @10:15 - 11:45 hrs [Lecture] and Tuesday @ 10:15 - 11:45 hrs [Office Hours]
- Online via BBB
- Lecture in Moodle
We are offering a BA/MA individual student project course, with the common theme of "Visualizations for Social Good". We offer a range of topics for the course reflecting different social aspects such as education, energy, urban planning, pollution, global disease outbreaks, etc. The individual projects will be aimed towards implementing prototypes that enable visual analysis of the real world data on various social aspects.
Besides the listed topics, students are also welcome to suggest a topic of their own interest within the theme “Visualization for Social Good”, on which they would like to work during the course. The course will be engaging, challenging, and offer plenty of learning opportunities.
List of Topics:
- Visualizing Global Climate Data
- Visual Analysis of Goods Transportation in Global Trade
- Visual Analysis of Global (Renewable) Energy Demand and Supply
- Effectiveness of Visualizations to Report Global Outbreaks
- Visualizing the Impact of Traffic Pollution on Our Climate
- Visualizing Progress Towards UN Sustainability Goals
- Visual Analysis of Lives/Infrastructure in Urban Areas
- Visualizations for Crowdsourced AI Development
- Using Visualization to Teach Machine Learning
- Using Visualization for Ethical and Trustworthy AI
- Watch the panel discussion on “Visualization for Social Good” held at IEEE VIS 2020: https://youtu.be/RkNFBxDH6L0?t=529
- Works by Not for profit organization: https://www.vizforsocialgood.com
Note: Please feel free to self enroll (no key required) in the moodle course page for more details and announcements.
We are offering a seminar with the same topics encouraging collaboration between students of the two courses. Clarification on the topics and collaboration will be discussed in the first meeting.