The Research Group is Moving!
During winter term 2021/22, we move to University of Bamberg. From Oct. 15, 2021, Fabian Beck holds a full professor position on Information Visualization.
New webpage of the research group: https://www.uni-bamberg.de/vis
Type of Publication: Article in Collected Edition
Visualizing AI Playtesting Data of 2D Side-scrolling Games
- Agarwal, Shivam; Herrmann, Christian; Wallner, Günter; Beck, Fabian
- Title of Anthology:
- Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Games
- Publication Date:
- artificial intelligence, playtesting, visualization
- Digital Object Identifier (DOI):
- Visualizing AI Playtesting Data of 2D Side-scrolling Games (854 KB)
- Talk associated with this publication:
- IEEE Conference on Games 2020
- Download BibTeX
Human playtesting is a useful step in the game development process, but involves high economic costs and is time-consuming. While playtesting through artificial intelligence is gaining attention, it is challenging to analyze the collected data. We address the challenge by proposing visualizations to derive insights about level design in 2D side-scrolling games. To focus on the navigation behavior in the level design, we study the trajectories of computer agents trained using artificial intelligence. We demonstrate the effectiveness of our approach by implementing a web-based prototype and presenting the insights gained from the visualizations for the game Sonic the Hedgehog 2. We highlight lessons learned and directions to customize the approach for other analysis goals of playtesting.